To Bleach or Not To Bleach
At Social Pet, we don’t use bleach and here is why…
Bleach can be an effective disinfectant if carefully managed and your local vet may swear by it as the best option, but our research and the Pet Boarding & Daycare industry thinks differently:
Most bleach products are made with sodium hypochlorite, a chemical that can damage and irritate your dog’s paws and skin. If you use bleach at home, be sure to keep it out of reach from your dogs and kids. If you use it to clean your countertops or floors, those areas should be rinsed thoroughly with clean water before your kids or dogs walk on them.
When using bleach, you have to use a separate cleaner afterward because it is a disinfectant only; it will not aid in removing built up grime any more effectively than standard soap and water.
Bleach becomes unstable in liquid form since it quickly turns to a gas vapor during use… the “bleach smell” some people love and think is the power of its cleaning is actually the “cleaning power” literally evaporating under their nose.
Remember how sensitive a dog’s nose is? These gases can be very dangerous if directly breathed in, even for a short period of time. They can cause significant irritation to the mucus membranes of humans and dogs. Continued exposure to its off- gases can cause irreversible damage. The risk of dangerous exposure to dogs is even greater than humans and can happen more quickly.
Bleach is a caustic. This means it can corrode metal and irritate or burn the skin to the point of chemical burns if not well managed. If your dog comes in contact with a chemical like bleach, here are links to some suggested steps for their immediate care:
Always consult with your veterinarian after providing first-aid for a chemical burn. Pet MD and other online sources are great for continued education, but please ensure your dog is seen by a licensed veterinarian if they become injured or have an illness.
So how do we keep Social Pet so fresh and clean?
There are safer products for your dogs and our staff that have the same cleaning power! After much research, we have selected and use the following:
OdoBan as a cleaning aid: “Excellent for use around pets! Great for removing soils & odors from urine, vomit, feces, blood and dirt, leaving surfaces shiny and streak-free.” http://www.odoban.com/products/floor-care/no-rinse-neutral-ph-floor-cleaner.php
Trifectant as a disinfectant: “A highly effective, biodegradable powerful broad spectrum disinfectant for use in veterinary hospitals, shelters, and boarding facilities. The mixture of chemicals works together synergistically: multiple modes of action are designed to work on different and specific parts of the micro-organism.” http://alphatechpet.com/disinfectant-vet-hospitals.aspx
Wysiwash for play zone disinfection: “Traditional disinfectants are not safe to use around animals and require thorough rinsing before the animals can return to the area. Wysiwash has been shown in numerous tests to be highly effective against dangerous pathogens, and it has been proven to be safe around animals—even without rinsing.” https://www.wysiwash.com/
While all of these products are more expensive than bleach, they are proven to be just as effective, significantly safer, and better for your pups. Only the best products are used and safest cleaning practices performed daily at Social Pet!!!